KIOWA TAX COMMISSION~HOURS MONDAY-FRIDAY 8:00AM to 4:00PM
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS- For Registered Vehicle Owners!
To register a vehicle, you must be an Oklahoma resident and a Kiowa Tribal member and must be at least 18 years of age or older. You do not have to make an appointment. You can either call in your request, email it in (with a phone call) mail it in (Vehicle, make/model, color, current insurance policy on the vehicle, photocopy of your licenses and Tribal ID card, along with the payment method you desire to use), or physically visit our walk-in member lobby (lots of refreshments/snacks available) which is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday, or use our Drive-Through, which is also open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. We do not shut down for lunch. There will always be someone available during this time frame to serve you.
BE SURE TO PARK IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING IF YOU DESIRE TO WALK IN FOR SERVICE. THE BACK OF THE BUILDING IS EMPLOYEE PARKING. THANK YOU!
Kiowa Tribal members living within the State of Oklahoma are entitled to purchase Tribal tags from the Kiowa Tax Commission. The Kiowa Tag office offers registration for the following:
Recreational Vehicles (RVs) and Travel Trailer/Motor Homes
ATVs/UTVs used on the street
All of the prices are listed in the Pamphlets and Forms section of this webpage. You may download and print these off. Other forms are there as well for other items that you need to take care of through our tag office (i.e., duplicate titles, changes, renewals, replacements, etc...)
NOTE: EFFECTIVE JULY 18, 2022, TRIBAL MEMBERS 65 AND OLDER WILL NO LONGER BE ISSUED A FREE ONE-TIME RENEWAL OR NEW TAG AS PER DIRECTED BY THE TAX CODE OF THE KIOWA TRIBE.
Requirements to Register each New or Used Vehicle(s)
- Kiowa Tribal members are limited to six (06) tags.
- Kiowa Tribal Veterans are limited to two (02) veteran tags at the $10.00 rate per tag. Any additional veteran tags will be the regular price based upon the year of the vehicle.
- Original title and the registration with the Kiowa member's name: the seller and buyer must provide their signatures with it notarized (no exceptions).
- Bill of Sale from individual or dealership. The Bill of Sale is needed in order to determine the Manufactures Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) you paid for a vehicle. YOU MUST ASK THE DEALER TO ISSUE YOU THE TITLE, OTHERWISE, THEY WILL SUBMIT IT TO THE STATE TAX COMMISSION MOTOR VEHICLE DEPARTMENT. The MSRP is also needed to determine Kiowa Excise Tax to be paid on a new vehicle. A new vehicle is considered in 2022 and 2023 (Oklahoma Brown Title, Other states may vary in color). One percent of the sticker price (MSRP) must be paid in addition to the regular tax on the vehicle). Below is a calculator to determine 1% of the Kiowa Excise Tax (KET) on the vehicle. If you bought the vehicle from an individual, a handwritten bill of sale will suffice.
- A Bill of Sale will not suffice on its own for receiving a new tag. We must have the original Title. It normally takes up to 30 days to receive your title in the mail from the dealership. The only exception to not having a title in hand, is that if the Kiowa Tag Office issues a Kiowa Title and you do not have the state title in hand when making the transaction, the tag office will hold the Kiowa title until you turn in the state title or if and when the vehicle is paid off, THIS IS ONLY A RARE EXCEPTION. Every effort should be made for the Tribal member to obtain the title, not the tag office. Vehicle dealerships have been instructed to send the title to the perspective state motor vehicle department, especially in Oklahoma due to the governor and legislators attempting to place Tribes back in the limelight of the State Department.
- Current Oklahoma insurance verification
- Valid Oklahoma Driver's license for each person on the vehicle title, any additional person(s) on the title must be a family member; specifically, spouses, parent/guardian, or child (need to provide verification to identify family members). You may delegate a person to do the transaction for you but first must fill out the Delegate Form that is located in the Forms section below. It must be notarized with the Tribal member's signature authenticated by the Notary.
- Any liens or lien releases on the vehicle, an authorization letter from a lender to add a name of a family member to the title if not on the lien
- Current Kiowa Tribal enrollment card
- Please return any tags no longer registered to the vehicle.
- The vehicle may be a leased vehicle however the lien holder will be the lessor and the lessee must be a Kiowa Tribal member. ALL documentation from the lessor must be photocopied to accompany the Tribal records showing proof of the lease on the vehicle. Once the lease expires on the vehicle, the Tribal tag must be turned back over to the Kiowa Tax Commission.
- Keep in mind, that you are legally required to register a vehicle shortly after you purchase it. Normally, thirty days is the most common number due to sellers, especially auto dealerships being required to send the buyer within 30 days. Failing to do so may lead to fines and suspension of your license until proof of registration is obtained. Therefore, it is your responsibility to bring the title and registration documents to the Kiowa Tax Commission Tag Office as soon as possible.
- Make sure we have your current address, telephone number, and/or Drivers' License/Tribal ID updated in our database. Often, we mail out renewals to get "return to sender" due to your address changing, but not reflected in our database.
- You may add a non-Kiowa member cohabitant, spouse, partner, or companion to your tag as long as you can show proof of cohabitation or proof through any utility, insurance or other documents supporting the address.
- You must also register a vehicle within 30 days after purchase, or you could lose your license. This again is an Oklahoma law.
Additional Required Documents
- Current military ID (Active/reserve duty Kiowa members/spouses)
- DD-214/or equivalent for NOAA/UPHS Kiowa members claiming veteran preference for Veteran tags (Must bear honorable discharge or under honorable conditions)
- Letter from VA if claiming 100% disability
- State handicapped placard and/or application showing approval
No Appointments are required to renew your Kiowa tag.
- Renewals may be accomplished by the following methods: In-person, telephone, mail, drive-through window, e-mail, or ordering online. You will need to upload all the necessary documents and mail the original title to us if you purchased another vehicle. However, we will accept a photocopy of the title until you are able to mail us the original.
- If you choose telephone, email, or mail, you will need to email or mail a photocopy of your driver's license and current insurance on the vehicle you are renewing. If you are ordering online, you will upload any documents requested. Our email address is email@example.com. These two items must be submitted and received before a renewal sticker is mailed to you.
Duplicate Certificate of Title
A single requestor is limited to the issuance of two (02) duplicate Titles to a single vehicle.
Your tags must be kept up to date. There is only a 30 day grace period until you are penalized for a late tag. The penalty is $8.00 for each month that has elapsed. The Oklahoma Tax Commission charges $1.00 every day up to a total of $100, then other fees arise having to pay the $100, in addition to other late fees that are more than the Tribe's present $8.00 fee per month. Only waivers are given by the Director of Tax Commission under rare circumstances if the vehicle has lapsed more than a year.